For me, fall is my favorite time of year to get outdoors, to travel, and to explore.
Make this Superfood, Gluten-free Trail Mix Cookie recipe for your next outdoor adventure.
- 1 1/2 cups favorite nuts and seeds (almonds, cashews, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted or ghee
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp granulated cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup dried fruit or unsweetened candied ginger
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
3. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, sugars, vanilla and salt until acohesive mixture is formed. Allow the mixture to stand while the oats and nuts cool.
4. Add the dried fruit or ginger and chopped chocolate to the egg mixture. Stir to combine. Add the flour, the baking soda, and then the nut and oat mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon (or with your hands,) squeezing and pressing to combine.
5. Allow the cookie batter to chill 2 hours, or up to 3 days. This allows the cookies to set, and for the baked cookies to have a lovely texture.
6. Preheat your oven to 350°F again if it’s no longer on. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Usea 1⁄3 cup measure to scoop cookie batter out onto the sheet pan, pressing down the dough intodisks. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
7. Bake the cookies until golden around the edges and fragrant, approximately 11-13 minutes.
8. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before taking them with you on your adventure.
Leave a Reply