Lifestyle practices for health and beauty during Kapha season
Winter and early spring is heavy, wet, and cold – typical of the Kapha season (energy). It can leave us feeling stagnant and heavy, not only in the body but in the mind as well.
Ayurveda has several beautiful practices to prevent and remove stagnation….so just as the flowers in the meadows bloom after spring showers, you too may bloom and glow.
- Bring the outdoors in to purify the air quality in your house with these house plants: peace lilies, palms, pathos, ferns, and anthuriums.
- Infuse essential oils in your house such as the following Kapha blend: palo santo, tulsi, cedar, orange, and cinnamon
- Use nasya oil (two drops in each nostril) daily. This practice helps prevent wrinkles on the face, keeps the hair from graying, brings peace to the mind, and lubricates the nasal passages.
- Lighten your diet by including more veggies, and add some pungent spices to your dishes such as black pepper, cayenne, ginger, and turmeric. Trikatu and triphala are excellent herbal formulas for the kapha dosha.
- Practice Udgarshana (dry, rough massage with silk gloves) at least 1x per month is increase circulation and exfoliate the skin during kapha season.
- Practice daily oil massage to keep the skin well nourished.
- Kneed the muscles of the body daily with self massage, or visit your a trained body worker/therapist once a week.
- exercise daily for good circulation, to keep connective tissues toned, and to maintain your weight during the ‘heavy’ time of year.
- Visit a sauna or visit your ayurvedic practitioner for a svedana session once a week to sweat it out.
- Allow for proper rest at night by getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Do not oversleep, as this can increase the feeling of heaviness and lethargy.
Keep smiling, spring is just around the corner.
For a personalized Ayurvedic Consultation, contact me at email@example.com, and if you’re interested in learning more about Ayurveda, sign up to be notified when my course ‘Ayurveda for your Life and Biz’ is open for registration: https://chandraayurveda.com/ayurveda/program-for-life-business/