My favorite time of year is August & September and that’s because it’s Fig season and I LOVE FIGS (plus by this time, I’m really looking forward to fall)! This is also the time of year when we start feeling frazzled from all the heat, so it’s a good idea to check in and gauge your internal temperature.
If you’re noticing certain pitta (heat) imbalances such as digestive issues, heartburn, sleep disturbances, irritability, anger, skin issues, liver issues, and/or headaches; then you might be having a pitta imbalance. Adding cooling foods to your diet is one of the easiest ways to lower excess pitta (heat).
Well you are in luck…..nature, in its infinite wisdom, has provides you and me with this gorgeous, tasty fruit right when we needed the most – at the end of the summer. I can’t say enough about figs, including their delicious taste, I could live off of them for the next 2 months! Anyway, below I included a list of benefits and a simple smoothie recipe you can make today. Notice how quickly your mood changes after eating this gem!
Here are some of the health benefits of adding fresh FIGS to your diet:
- They contain a high concentration of fiber
- They help prevent colon and breast cancer by fighting free radicals
- They are alkaline (helps your body maintain it’s normal pH)
- They are rich in potassium
- Prevent constipation
- Prevent heart disease due to their high content of omega 3’s
- They are excellent for the liver
- Provide relief for respiratory problems such as asthma
- They are rich in calcium and help strengthen bones
- They are an phrodisiac – help with sexual dysfunctions
- Prevent vision loss by macular degeneration
- They are low in sugar and fat
- They lower pitta
PITTA REDUCING & ENERGY INCREASING FIG SMOOTHIE
- 1 cups non-dairy milk (like cashew milk)
- ½ cup raw coconut water
- 3-4 fresh figs, washed, stems removed, and halved
- 1 frozen banana or 1/2 avocado (low glycemic/low sugar option)
- 1 cup fresh, organic spinach
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
- 4-5 cashews (preferably soaked for easy digestion)
- 3-4 ice cubes (optional)
Blend all ingredients until nice and creamy (add ice cubes for a colder smoothie).
By the way, cashews are a great source of protein, fiber and iron. If you need an extra boost of protein, add a plant based protein powder (my favorite is hemp). Pea protein is a great alternative for people with food allergies.