You told yourself you would only have one drink with dinner, but the wine kept flowing and the food kept coming, and the conversation was so interesting, and you were having a BLAST…..next thing you know, you had one drink too many!
You wake up the next day with your head pounding and your stomach a mess….it happens to the best of us.
It’s the time of year when there is one festivity after another, or just the mere fact that the year is coming to an end makes one want to let their hair down and just indulge a bit. But now it’s the day after and you have to deal with the consequences. Well, the truth is, nothing can speed up the recovery of a hangover, but I’m going to give you 5 tips to help minimize the symptoms.
After one too many drinks, your body is usually in need of electrolytes, oxygen, energy, and fluids – so here are my favorite must do’s the day after…
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Coconut water is the best option as it contains many of the electrolytes the body needs, especially if you’re dehydrated. You can also make your own by adding 1 tbs of organic sugar (such as Sucanat), 1/4 tsp sea salt, and 10 drops of lime juice in 2 cups of filtered water.
- Make yourself a smoothie that will nourish, is easy to digest, contains minerals such as potassium, and will give you a boost of energy. Here’s my Day After Green Energy Smoothie (makes 2 servings): 1 tsp matcha green tea powder; 1/3 ripe avocado; 1 frozen banana; 1 1/2 cups almond, cashew, or hemp milk; 2 tsp maple syrup or 1-2 pitted Medjool dates; 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and drink slowly.
- Ginger tea helps combat nausea and reduce inflammation among many other benefits. To make, cut up several slices of fresh ginger root, place in a small pot with some filtered water, bring to a boil and let it simmer for a 10 minutes. Pour the ginger water in a cup, add a tsp of raw honey and some lemon, and enjoy. Your tummy will love you for it.
- Try taking milk thistle after your evening meal to help your liver detox.
- Don’t lie in bed all day, make sure you get outside and get some fresh air if the weather permits. If the weather is not cooperating, do a few sun salutations and get your breath flowing. Movement helps to get more blood supply to all your organs and every cell in your body – this speeds up repair and detoxification.
Make sure you have these supplies on hand in case you need them. The day after is not fun, but like I said, it happens to the best of us. Be safe and never drive under the influence of alcohol.
Have a marvelous 2016!