I’ve been studying Ayurveda now for over 6 years, and I’ve been studying about longevity and anti-aging for quite honestly, over 25 years – and what I have come to realize is that it all boils down to your hormones. If your hormones are at a healthy level and balanced, you will maintain your youthfulness and vitality. You will basically, get older without aging.
Balancing your hormones should begin in childhood, it’s really not something you wait to think about when your getting ready to hit menopause – but unfortunately, in the west, that’s when we actually think about it…. right when our body begins to fall apart and then we’re not quite sure what to do.
Does this mean it’s too late? Of course not! It just means that it will take more work and discipline. It could also mean that you might need some extra help with prescription medication – which is why I always recommend to get comprehensive blood work done at least once a year. But, there is something you can start doing TODAY to help you get balanced and stay balanced (even if you have already hit menopause). Start with taking one or all 5 of these Ayurvedic herbs known for their anti-aging and rejuvenating effects that I list below.
These herbs are well established in Ayurvedic medicine as anti-aging and rejuvenating and each one has unique properties that works well with everyone’s biochemical individuality.
Ayurveda, which literally means the ‘Science of Life’, is the oldest medical system known to man and treats every person as entirely unique. No two individuals have the same biochemical make-up; therefore, no two individuals will have same the exact same recommendations. Ayurveda takes into account your ancestral background, biochemical makeup, and develops a personalized list of recommendations for diet and lifestyle that is unique to you. I love that! It’s extremely practical yet complex. But what I love the most about Ayurveda is how well it works with allopathic (western) medicine, and as a Registered Nurse, I am never in conflict in applying Ayurvedic principles with my clients or patients.
The herbs I am listing below, are excellent to take from the the time you enter puberty until your senior years and beyond. They are preventative, adaptogenic, as well as rejuvenating which is why they are excellent for women at any stage in life. These herbs are slow acting, which is also why they are considered long-term remedies.
THE TOP 5 HERBS FOR WOMEN ARE:
- Shatavari ~ also known as “100 husbands”, closely related to asparagus. It is slightly moistening, and is considered the number one herb for women of any age. It enhances fertility, protects the urinary system, protects the digestive system, excellent for menopause, relieves stress, and balances the pH of the vagina.
- Gotu Kola ~ from the parsley family, much like spinach. It is considered the number one herb for the nervous system in the world. It enhances the actual tissues of the nerves themselves, and enhances cognition. Gotu Kola also benefits the circulatory system, the digestive system, and helps with detoxification through the kidneys. This herb is not adaptogenic in nature.
- Turmeric ~ by now I’m sure you’ve heard of the numerous benefits of this wonder herb, it’s actually the number one studied substance and is one of the best substances you can take for anti-aging and longevity. Some of the most significant benefits of turmeric are as follows….excellent for skin health, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, increases the detoxification pathways of the body, improves brain function, lowers risk of heart disease, prevents cancer, prevents Alzheimer’s, and prevents depression.
- Ashwagandha ~ “like a horse” (which is why it’s excellent for men). Ashwagandha comes from the tomato family and is known to enhance stamina, increase muscle and connective tissue development, it’s grounding, immune boosting, increases mental clarity, and enhances sexual function. It also helps regulate sleep cycles or circadian rhythm. During time of stress, it helps decrease cortisol and epinephrin while strengthening the immune system – a wonderful adaptogen.
- Triphala ~ contains three fruits. Triphala is an anti-oxidant, balances hormones, protects the liver, maintaining a healthy complexion, and for enhancing detoxification pathways. It also helps to build tissue, protects the digestive system, and controls inflammation.
These Ayurvedic herbs are subtle, yet very effective in helping to balance your hormones and prevent accelerated aging. Due to their subtle nature, they can be taken for a long period of time – basically for life, and are extremely safe – overdosing is usually never a problem, but always check with your healthcare practitioner if you have any concerns.
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine and is extremely effective when it comes to lifestyle and prevention. And to get you started, I am including a FREE Ayurvedic inspired weekend detox that you can download and start using right away. Three days is all you need to jump start your health and start balancing your hormones, detoxing, and losing some excess weight. You can download it for free on my home page here: bit.ly/1Yt4bDkbit.ly/1Y.
Have a beautiful rest of the month, I’ll be back with more summer news in July.